Sunday, March 06, 2011

I am in a psych ward.

For those that know me well, know that I have struggled with depression since my teen years. I attempted suicide in 2001 and landed myself in a psych ward for 5 days. I told them everything they wanted to hear to get me out. I did not want to be there at all. When I got out, I went to see a counselor is our local town, I don't even remember what his name was, but he told me that I had, "Severe Chronic Depression and that there was nothing he could do to help me and that I had to learn how to say no." After that I kind of swore off therapists.



My depression has been coming back full force lately. I seen my primary care doctor about a year and a half ago and got put on Celexa for my depression. Then I went back a few months ago since I felt the Celexa wasn't working well and they suggested that I up the dosage. Looking back now, that is when I started to get migraines on a more regular basis. Not a good thing at all. Not feeling good and missing so much work worsened my depression. I started feeling so hopeless and if I didn't get help, then I would be back where I was in 2001 and I know I didn't want to be there.



My first step was telling Jason. That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be as he has always been so supportive of me.



The next morning I called my Diamond Nurse (depression nurse) and said that I needed help. And felt that I needed more help than just a med adjustment. She talked to my primary care doc and called me back almost immediately. They both suggested that I go to the ER to see if I could get admitted to an inpatient program. They could call ahead and let the ER know that I was coming, but that was all they could do to make sure that the transition went easy. I showered (for the first time in 4 or 5 days) and packed some clothes, books, and toiletries and off to the ER we went.


Jason and I first went back to a little room that felt like it was closing in on me the longer I was in it, I didn't think that I had anxiety or claustrophobia...but I didn't know how long I could manage in it. Thankfully I was soon wheeled up to the Generose in the Mood Disorders Unit.

It was a really different experience than when I was up in Miller Dwan back in 2001. That felt almost like a jail. It was awful. This one there wasn't the loud clank of a door when you were admitted. It was a really warm and inviting environment, surprisingly. The first day and a half was hard. I sat by myself, and then started to socialize more. I'm going to miss some of the people that I have met here.

I've gotten some good information out of the classes, but not all of them. Some of them are a joke. But for the classes that I didn't get much out, that's ok.

Someday's I get really overwhelmed by all of the paperwork/forms that I have to fill out and all of the reading I have to do. It's nice that I know I can just set it aside and return to it in a little while. I know that I a lot that I have to work on, but that is good.

I know that this is where I needed to be. And rather than be in Miller Dwan, here I have been open, honest, and speaking up in classes. I didn't just say what they wanted to hear to get out.

My release date sounds like it is Tuesday. Today I feel like I can handle that. I know that I have wonderful supportive network of people around me. For that I am so very thankful. I don't know what I would do without them, especially Jason.

This was really hard to admit that I needed to be in a psych ward, but I knew it was where I needed to be. This was a really good decision for me.

After getting out of the psych ward, I already have a therapist appointment set up, and I'm going to be attending an Intensive Outpatient Program for Cognitative Behavior Therapy.

It's almost bedtime here, but I'm glad I got to post it. :) I just wanted to let everyone know kind of what was going on.

11 comments:

mrs. a. said...

Thinking about you and hoping they are able to help you feel "better", that sounds weird but I think you know will know what I mean. I am here for you anytime, I hope you know that as well. We should make plans, I think a visit with the girls would help. Let me know when you are up for it and I can do some planning. I am itching to scrap when you feel up to it as well. Love you bunches Bellywing!

Susan Kara said...

I love you so much. You're stronger than me. I look up to you. You're the perfect peanut.

I'm so happy to hear that you feel you are ready. Made me tear up a bit.

You're lucky to have such an amazing husband...

Leslie Jordan said...

Wow, Amber. You are so brave and smart! I know it is not easy, but it's so good to be able to be honest. And, we all need help from time to time. Thank you for sharing how you are doing. You've been on my mind so much lately. Let me know if I can help with anything. If you want to get together for lunch after you return to work, just let me know. I'm here. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Cindy said...

I am so glad and proud of you taking this step and went in to get the help you needed...that takes more courage than most know. It takes a strong person to know when they need help and they get it. and a stronger person to follow through.


So glad to hear you are feeling you are up to going home and have plans in place after you get home.

If you need anything let us know!

Love you kiddo
MA

Anonymous said...

Dearest Amber,
thanks to your post I know now whats going on in your life at the moment. Thank you for sharing Amber. <3
I am happy that you took action and searched for the right thing to do. Some things cant be done alone and I am happy and proud that you got yourself help.:) You will see how worth it is going to be. You are a STRONG, POWERFUL and BEAUTIFUL woman!! You know what you want and always try your best to get your dreams to be done!!! There is so much waiting for you and you WILL be a healthy Woman full of joy soon!!
May God bless you Amber. May he always be near you, give you strength and wisdom.
My thoughts are with you *Linn*

Janet Lee said...

I am so glad you are getting help and staying strong. I thought about you all day today and thought I would check your blog and see if you had posted, I am glad I did. Sometimes life gets hard,and it takes a lot for someone to step up and say I really need help! So very proud of you for doing what is best for you and being able to talk about it. Thank goodness you have an amazing husband. My thoughts are with you always, hang in there sweetie pie. Lots of love,

Janet

Sandy ClennonWilkening said...

Amber, you are an amazing women! I'm glad to hear that you are taking steps to take care of yourself and not too proud to admit that you need more. I hope you are able to absorb all you can while you are there and are able to apply it to homelife when you get home.
Its great to see what an awesome support system you have, it makes a HUGE difference!
Take care and when life calms down here, Laura and I will be making the trip down there to see you as we had planned before.
Sandy ClennonWilkening

Cabbey said...

This is going to sound cliched, but there is little I can do to fix that. The first step in solving a problem, is admitting there is a problem. It is also the hardest step, from there, it gets easier. Good on ya Amber.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome.

Good work on getting the help and being brave and being so honest!!

Lee Sargent said...

That last comment was me - must've hit the wrong button!!

Amber said...

I just wanted to say thank you to each and everyone who commented. It seriously helped me get through that week. I have the most amazing friends, both online and in real life. My family is amazing and last, but not least is my husband. Seriously, thank you all so much for all of your support.